Range Ammo for Ansc...

Notifications
Clear all

Range Ammo for Anschutz

(@ryan-mcmeniman)
Topic starter  

All, what’s the best range ammo for the Anschutz rifles? I have some hot 22lr for my NRL22 setup that I really don’t want to use. Is CCI Quiet, CCI Sub-Sonic, or SK Standard the right ammo choice? Thanks, Ryan 

(@mtnmanlogan)

Accurate Shooter did an exhaustive eval at 50,75, and 100 yards on many types of 22lr ammo using a Bleiker rifle indoors under controlled conditions.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Hard to test the way they did.  Our indoor range will not give you the distance. Shoot the SK and CCI against each other at the 65 yard range at 50 meters.  Do 5 rounds each and compare.

ReplyQuote
(@boblatshawyahoo-com)

I would eliminate CCI Sub Sonic and CCI Quiet from your list. CCI Standard is the only CCI I would try. I don't have an Anschutz. However, I have found RWS rifle match in the yellow box works for me, good comprise of price and performance.

ReplyQuote
(@stevemabiathlon-com)
Admin

Hi Ryan,

My Ancschutz really likes Lapua and SK. Which makes sense as SK is made by Lapua. CCI higher end match stuff, Green Tag, also tested well with my barrel. Surprisingly everything Elley including Tenex (the most expensive stuff I tested) did not fair well in my rifle. My go for training is SK Rifle Match or SK Biathlon if it’s cold out. SK Standard was good, but for me it didn’t shoot as well as SK Rifle Match. CCI Standard for me fell below SK Standard. The advice Peter gave about testing is really good. That’s how I figured this out. I bought about a dozen different boxes of match stuff and bench tested five shot groups at 50m. 

You definitely want to avoid the hot stuff. Biathlon targets are made for standard velocity ammo and high velocity will damage them. Stick with standard velocity, 1080 FPS. That’s what everyone will be shooting if you go a USBA event.

-Steve

ReplyQuote
(@ryan-mcmeniman)
Topic starter  

Great advice! Appreciate the responses. Now if we can just get more reliable ammo sources! 

ReplyQuote
(@sal-1001)

I'll add my 2 cents.  From what I've experienced my Anschutz shoots very well with SK ammo red and yellow boxes.  It seems to really like the colder weather and SK Biathlon works very well in those conditions. 

ReplyQuote
(@hara-juku)

Hi Ryan,

this is an old post I made on another site, which is mostly stuff I learned by asking questions and making mistakes.  

happy to help if you have questions

don  

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/#/topics/548161?page=2

ReplyQuote
(@ryan-mcmeniman)
Topic starter  

@hara-juku thank you!

ReplyQuote